Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My purse was stolen and had to change my checking account…

Customer Question
My purse was stolen...

My purse was stolen and had to change my checking account number. I get my SS check by direct deposit. I need to change my routing and check acct number. How do I do this on line? Or do I have to go to a physical office to change it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't think so. How do I reach the Retirement accountant?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/2/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here, BUT, I can tell you exactly how to do this online (and otherwise) you have three options, in total.

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, and make direct deposit changes. ... OR ...

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can make the change for you. ... OR ...

...

(3) ... You can go to your bank (or the new bank if you're using a different one) or credit union. ALL depository institutions can do this for you, right there at the bank.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane