Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I just learned that I was suppose to enroll in Medicare 3…

Customer Question
I just learned that...

I just learned that I was suppose to enroll in Medicare 3 months before I turn 65 even if I don't plan on retiring ... I turn 65 this month. what do I do now?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I turn 65 this month and i just found out that i was suppose to apply for Medicare.... what do i do now?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I was injured on the job on 1/10/17. i plan on returning to work as soon as the doctors release me... i don't know when that will be. I've been asked if i would consider going on SSDI. if i do this, will this effect my going back to my job? and will it effect workers comp paying my medical bills and prescriptions?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/2/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Although the BEST PRACTICE is signing up three months before to give SSA time to process the request, when you're first eligible for Medicare, you have a 7-month Initial Enrollment Period to sign up for Part A and/or Part B.

...

For example, if you're eligible for Medicare when you turn 65, you can sign up during the 7-month period that:

• Begins 3 months before the month you turn 65
  • Includes the month you turn 65
  • Ends 3 months after the month you turn 65

...

Regarding the SSDI question, SSDI is a disability insurance, and as will almost all disability insurance, stops are retirement age. (Full Retirement Age for Social Security is age 66, for those born between 1943 and 1954).

...

As an example, if you were ON SSDI, once you turn full retirement age, that same check still comes (same amount) but comes as a retirement check (paid from a different fund , and will have some different information on the check - or direct deposit advice slip)

...

Finally, regarding affecting your going back to work, (if you COULD get an SSDI benefit approved that quickly) once you go back to work and earn more than 1170 per month, you'd be above what SSA calls SGA (Substantial Gainful Activity) and therefore no longer disabled.

...

But on the Medicare piece, you're fine.

Finally, see this from Social Security (Medicare.gov, actually)

...

How do I sign up?

Hi, Lane here again.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS