Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I lost my social security tax form for the year 2016 to file…

Customer Question
I lost my...

I lost my social security tax form for the year 2016 to file my tax return

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I need my report for 2016 W 2

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/1/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

The tax form that we get for use with taxes is called a 1099-SSA: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/SSA1/G-SSA-1099-SM-1.pdf

...

You can get that in three ways:

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and print your document(s) immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab

...

If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can send you this.

OR

...

(3) ... You can get one by going to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment)

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" … That’s the only way I’ll be compensated.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane