Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I received a letter saying that my SScheck was returned to…

Customer Question
I received a letter...

I received a letter saying that my SScheck was returned to you. and that I needed to provide you with a address. I am not sure what address you are talking about. Do you mean my address? Are you wanting my banks address? If it is my email address it is: ***@******.***

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Yes my bank was frauded three times and I had to close the account. I not have changed banks and need my ss check sent to my new bank.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
I thought this was free. I do not want an on going membership. I only want to pay the $5.00"s.
10/1/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 10 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

There are three ways to accomplish what you want.

1. The easiest way is to check with the bank where the new account is that you want your benefits deposited. The banks often offer this service for their customers.

2. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-**** (Monday- Friday) and ask them to make the change. The only problem with this is the wait on "Hold" can be very, very long. If you run into that problem, you may want to contact your local Social Security office instead. Here's a link where, using your Zipcode, you can find the location & phone number of your local Social Security office.

3. The last way, and most direct method if your bank doesn't offer the service is to make the change yourself online. In order to do that you will need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see that there are a number of things you can do and information you can obtain through that website. One of the options is to change the bank account information where your benefits are deposited.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit from the site for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

PS After we're done here, I'll make sure Customer Service knows you don't want an ongoing membership.

Here's the link referred to above:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp#officeResults