Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Is my father eligible to receive spousal social security…

Customer Question
Is my father eligible...

Is my father eligible to receive spousal social security because my mother has passed away?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My father is only drawing his social security. Is he entitles to also collect my mother's social security since she died?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No. do you need her social security #?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/30/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

This is a public forum. I will ask the moderators to remove your Social Security number.

...

Spousal benefits are for spouses of living recipients (50% of the workers own benefit)

...

What you father MAY be entitled to is the SURVIVOR benefit.

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;

If a worker and spouse had both already started claiming - The higher benefit amount becomes the survivor benefit, and the lower of the two benefit amounts will be stopped.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – You may need to scroll up to see the stars.

Otherwise I’m not compensated for my time here.

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane