Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If i make up to the yearly limit in 2018 in 3 months, then…

Customer Question
If i make up...

If i make up to the yearly limit in 2018 in 3 months, then cut down to the monthly total of near 1400 a month, when would i get my first check from social security and for what amount?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Cutting hours for physical reasons to 10 hours per week about april or may, trying to figure budget

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/30/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 10 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you apply for social security benefits before your full retirement age of 66, you will receive your first check as soon as your application is processed, generally 2 or 3 month after you apply. The actual month/year of your application will determine how much you will receive. You can find the exact percentage here:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1955.html

You apply the percentage to your full retirement age benefits to get actual amount.

Regarding the annual earnings, the first year rule says that you only count your earning starting with the month you apply for your benefits. Which means, if you apply in April 2018, earnings from Jan, Feb and Mar will not counted towards the annual limit.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?