Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have a power of attorney for my wife with Alzheimers. How…

Customer Question
I have a power...

I have a power of attorney for my wife with Alzheimers. How do I register it with Social Security? To whom do I mail it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How do I register my Power of Attorney for my wife who has Alzheimers.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/29/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi - My name's Lane. I'm so sorry to be the messenger

...

Have you ever tried to use a power of attorney (POA) for Social Security (SS) purposes? If you haven’t, save yourself the trouble. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will not accept it.

...

After multiple clients experienced frustration at the Social Security office, I researched this.

...

There is no Social Security Power of Attorney. Powers of Attorney are creations of state law and vary wildly from state to state.

...

Becasue the federal agencies like the SSA do not want to have to separately review POAs based on both the facts and circumstances of their creation and the various state laws that may be applicable, these agencies have taken the position that they will not accept a POA under any circumstances.

...

A person, even a husband, wanting to assist a SS beneficiary has two options.

1. Obtain a court appointment as the Social Security beneficiary’s guardian.
  2. Apply to the SSA to become the representative payee for the SS benefits.

...

In most cases, becoming a court-appointed guardian is a complicated, expensive solution. There is an easier choice; Number 2, above.

...

The steps to becoming a representative payee is as follows:

1. Fill out (or least review) SSA-11 Request to be Selected as Payee form. (I've attached it here for you)
  2. Schedule a meeting with your local Social Security office.
  3. Wait on the review process performed by the SSA.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can set the appointment for you.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS