Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I sent in a change of the bank to receive direct deposit of…

Customer Question
I sent in a...

I sent in a change of the bank to receive direct deposit of my checks. I received a letter saying that my address was not correct. what do I do? My address hasn't changed.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My claim number is###-##-####

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No, I just changed banks and I mailed in the form that was given to me by the bank with the new account number.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/29/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 10 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Yes, Social Security can be picky about addresses. Here's what you can do:

1) You can go to your local social security office and they'll clear it up right away. You can find the location of the office that services your location by using the finder here: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

2) You can call them at(###) ###-####between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. (TTY:(###) ###-####; Social Security says that the average wait time on "hold" is 36 minutes;

3) You can use your online account. With an online account you can change your direct deposit information any time right from your home computer. If you do not have an online account with Social Security, you can easily create one:

Go to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount

Click on "Sign in or Create an Account."

You will need the following items of information:

Your name as it appears on your Social Security Account, your social security number, and your date of birth;

A U.S. mailing address;

A U.S issued driver's license or ID card;

A valid email address;

It helps to have a cell phone capable of receiving text messages but this is not mandatory;

The program will ask you for your personal information and you'll have to create a user name and a password;

You will also choose three security questions/answers. Write them down;

After all of this the program will send you a security code via text or email, you'll enter the code, and you'll be in.

From your online account you'll be able to manage your personal information, banking information, access your tax document from the previous year, print a benefits verification letter, and view your earnings history.

NOTE: If you are receiving SSI, you cannot change your address with your online account. You have to go into the office or telephone them.

That's it. I hope this puts you on the path of success in dealing with Social Security! If you are satisfied with this response a positive rating would be appreciated. Thank you!