Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can a spouse who will be eligible for SS earlier than the…

Customer Question
Can a spouse who...

Can a spouse who will be eligible for SS earlier than the other spouse (who is younger) but who will qualify for less than 1/2 of the other spouse's benefit amount take their smaller SS benefit first & then apply for the spousal benefit when the younger partner applies for SS benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so, it is really a simple question, altho hard to find simple words to express it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/28/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you qualify for spousal benefits - you may choose to delay your own and receive only spousal benefits.

The issue #1 is in order to qualify for benefits as a spouse - your spouse must start benefits OR be eligible for benefits.

The issue #2 is that when you apply fro spousal benefits - the IRS will consider as you applied for your own benefits - BUT there is an exemption fro those born in 1954 or earlier.

Questions?

You misunderstood question. Issue is: can older spouse take own benefit which is less than 1/2 of younger spouse's future benefit and then when younger spouse gets old enough to apply for benefit, can older spouse then take 1/2 of the younger spouse's amont?
dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY