Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to know what my benefits are from both accounts. I…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know what my benefits are from both accounts.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I need to know what benefits I'm getting from both accounts.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I'm getting an additional benefit from my ex-husband, in addition to my own.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

There is no such thing as an account.

...

There are different work records and benefits calculated upon them.

...

Examples are the workers own benefit, ancillary benefits such as spousal, survivor and dependent benefits.

...

And (may be stating the obvious here, but) we cannot stack the benefits. Social Security will always take you UP TO the larger benefit by paying a combination of the two benefits.

...

So in your case you have been taken up to, either , 1/2 of your husbands benefit (if he is still alive) - the spousal benefit - OR if you husband has passed, you have been taken up to the % of his full retirement amount - the survivor benefit - based on when you started taking the benefit.

...

The % of his benefit you'd get as a SURVIVOR benefit depends on your age when you decide to start taking the benefit. you receive 71.5% of his basic benefit if you start taking at the earliest point possible, your age 60. This amount grows (in a straight line fashion) to 100% of his benefit if you wait until your ful retirement age to take the benefit (Full retirement age is age 66 for those born between 1943 and 1954.

...

You can see the full retirement age for other birth years here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/agereduction.html

...

SO, even though we cannot dig into the private information that only Social Security can provide for you, by applying the facts of your situation (whether you husband is alive or not, when you started taking the benefit, specifically your age when you started the increased benefit) you cab "back into" his base amount.

...