Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How can I change the bank my check is deposited in. I need…

Customer Question
How can I change...

How can I change the bank my check is deposited in

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I need to have my direct deposit in another bank

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/28/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi - My name's Lane. You have THREE OPTIONS.

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, manage your direct deposit, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and make the change.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. They can make the change for you

OR

...

(3) ... You can go directly to the bank (new bank if this is a different bank). They will have the forms to make the change.