Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband have sold our home in Florida and are moving to…

Customer Question
My husband have sold...

My husband have sold our home in Florida and are moving to New Jersey in the next week. I would like to change our mailing address.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We now live in Florida and are moving to New Jersey and would like our address changed on your records.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/28/2017
Social Security Expert: SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant replied 10 months ago
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

You can change your address either by calling social security or online by setting up an online account if you don't already have one. You can set the account up at the following link.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

The number to call is as follows;

• 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday
  • 1-***-***-****
  • TTY 1-***-***-****

If you need to change your address with the IRS, use the Form 8822.

Link to Form 8822:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

--------------------------------------

In addition, though you did not inquire about this matter, the information may likely come in handy at tax time. The sale of your home. Normally if a gain is incurred on a sale of a capital asset, capital gains tax will apply. However, if you and your husband meet the requirements, you may be able to exclude up to $500,000 from the sales price. The requirements are as follows;

Eligibility Step 2—Ownership Determine whether you meet the ownership requirement. If you owned the home for at least 24 months (2 years) during the last 5 years leading up to the date of sale (date of the closing), you meet the ownership requirement.

Eligibility Step 3—Residence Determine whether you meet the residence requirement. If your home was your residence for at least 24 of the months you owned the home during the 5 years leading up to the date of sale, you meet the residence requirement. The 24 months of residence can fall anywhere within the 5-year period. It doesn't have to be a single block of time. All you need is a total of 24 months (730 days) of residence during the 5-year period.

Refer to IRS Pub 523 for more detailed information relating to the sale of your home. You can always check back with me under a different thread if you have questions relating to the sale of your home. My username is***** 168.

Link to IRS Pub 523:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.