Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I my wife benefits are higher at 66 can i get that amount.

Customer Question
I my wife benefits...

I my wife benefits are higher at 66 can i get that amount. At 66 my benefits or $850 less than hers

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My benefit will be $1066 my wife is already 66 and she receives 1900. Can I get 1900 at 66 or will receive $1066 per month

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/28/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are eligible for social security benefits based on your own working record AND as a spouse - you will not be able to receive both benefits at the same time - but will be entitled to the larger of these.

If you qualify and apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, the SSA will always pay your own benefits first.

If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.

What are your spousal benefits?
If you begin receiving benefits - at your full retirement age (FRA), your benefit as a spouse cannot exceed one-half of your spouse's full retirement amount.

However - if you begin receiving benefits between age 62 and your FRA - the amount will be permanently reduced according to the number on months you started before your FRA.

Let me know if you need any help with calculations.