Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was chatting with an agent and paid for the answer, but it…

Customer Question
I was chatting with...

I was chatting with an agent and paid for the answer, but it disappeared.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was inquiring about getting some of my first husband's social security. We were married from 1975 to 1991. I live in CO and he lives in MI. His name is*****

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I was married two times after Bob, but they didn't last 10 years. Bob left me for another woman.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/27/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 10 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

For some reason, your previous question was closed.

Here it is:

I was married to Robert Arden Biggs from 1975 to 1991. Can I get some of his social security?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was told that I could collect some of Bob's social security if we were married 10 years. I did marry twice since, but not for 10 years with either one. I am now single, retired teacher, living in CO. Bob lives in Leland, MI 49654

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

You tell me.

Based on the information you provided, you can apply for benefits under Robert Arden Biggs' record if you meet the following requirements:

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on their record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I doubt that Bob has applied for S.S. because he is self employed and has family money to support him.

Even if he has not applied, you can receive benefits on his record if he qualifies. If he is self-employed, he pays social security and medicare taxes when he files his tax returns.