Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am, receiving benefits on my own record. I was married 15…

Customer Question
I am 69, receiving...

I am 69, receiving benefits on my own record. I was married 15 years and am now divorced. My ex-husband's benefits are more than mine. Can I claim any part of his benefits and still get my own? I will turn 70 in January.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

If it's relevant, my ex is 71 and has drawn benefits since turning 70. I started mine at 66.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/27/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 10 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, Social Security will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb