Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I receive SS disability monthly. I have been told thru L&I I…

Customer Question
I receive SS disability...

I receive SS disability monthly. I have been told thru L&I I might be entitled to a settlement. With the settlement effect my SSD in any way?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I do not know what more to tell you. I do not want to lose my SSD because that is how I have insurance and being diabetic I need my insurance

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

It is not retirement

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/27/2017
Social Security Expert: John, Attorney replied 8 months ago
John, Attorney

Normal SSDI is not means tested, so you could get a settlement or really any type of non-work related funds and not be affected. You just cannot work for renumertion in excess of $1,170 a month. A settlement is not remuneration for work. As such, it would not disqualify you from SSDI. If you are on SSI, that is different and you must not acquire more than $2k in assets to get SSI.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.