Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do I get part d (prescription drug coverage on ss card.

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get part d (prescription drug coverage on ss card

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have ss card with A AND B COVERAGE BUT NOW I NEED PART D

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I am veteron

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/26/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 10 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I see that you want to add prescription drug coverage to your MediCare plan. Here's how it works.

First, I see you're a veteran. You will have to consider how a prescription drug plan will work with any drug coverage that you are already entitled to under VA benefits. So the first thing you should do is contact the Veterans Administration at(###) ###-####and find out how Part D coverage may affect your VA prescription drug benefits. To see how your VA benefits work you can go to the VA site at: https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/acccess/prescriptions.asp.

Then, find a plan. You can use the MediCare plan finder at this website:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx.

Once you find a plan that you like, you can call them and discuss enrollment.

There's another option that you may or may not be interested in, and that's Part C coverage. MediCare offers what is known as "The MediCare Advantage Plan." It is like an HMO or PPO. You receive your Part A and Part B coverage plus your Part D prescription drug coverage with this type of plan. If you are interested in looking into this option (called "MA-PD") you can call MediCare at(###) ###-####

Any time you call a plan or MediCare, make sure you have your MediCare card with your Medicare number and the date your Part A and Part B coverage started.

I hope this has answered your question. If so a positive rating would be appreciated. A warning: when dealing with federal agencies, be prepared to experience substantial wait times on "hold." Don't give up. And good luck.