Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need a copy of my 1099 for 2016. My court appointed lawyer…

Customer Question
I need a copy...

I need a copy of my 1099 for 2016. My court appointed lawyer has not forwarded it to me although he has my new address:

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have moved from **** to ****.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I hope not other than my Name: **** and I may have called you about this matter earlier in September but have not received my tax form so my accountant can file for me

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/26/2017
Social Security Expert: PDtax, CPA firm owner replied 8 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and will be helping you today. I can't get the form for you, but I can show you how to get it. Please confirm that is ok.

Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 8 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will give you the information you need.

First, let's make sure that the Social Security Administration has your new address. There are two ways to do this.

1) Call them at(###) ###-####(TTY:(###) ###-#### between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, and they can take your address change. When you call this number there may be a wait time of a half hour to an hour. They say the average wait is 36 minutes.

2) Create your own online account. This is pretty easy. Here's how:

A. Go to https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ and click on "Sign in or Create an Account."

B. You will need the following information:

1. Your name, date of birth, and social security number;

2. Your address in the U.S.

3. A valid driver's license or identification card issued by your state, or your passport

4. A valid e-mail address

5. It helps if you have a cell phone that can accept text messages, although this isn't required.

C. The program will take you through a series of steps where it asks for your information, and it will ask you to choose a user name and password. You will also be asked to choose three security questions/answers that you should be sure to write down. The program will then send you a security code, either via email or text. Once you get it, you enter it, and you're in.

You can change your address using your online account, you can change your direct deposit information, you can print a benefits verification letter, you can get last year's SSA-1099 form, and you can view your earnings history.

3) You can also just go to your local social security office. The office that serves your area is:

Address: GIAIMO FED BLDG 4TH FL*****br />NEW HAVEN, CT 06510
Phone: 1-***-***-****
TTY: 1-***-***-****
Hours:
Monday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Thursday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Hope this helps you. If you need more information just ask. If this has helped you, a positive rating here would be appreciated. Thank you.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney