Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My sister's husband worked for the railroad. Will she get…

Customer Question
My sister's husband worked...

My sister's husband worked for the railroad. Will she get part A and B of Medicare the same as I do (retired teacher) and then she'll go to insurance office to complete her part B coverage?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

She will turn 65 in May, I don't know what else you need to know, sorry.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/22/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

Yes, both SSA (Social Security) retirees and RRB (Railroad Retirement Board) retirees get medicare parts A and B, at age 65.

...

Select the situation that applies to you to learn more.

I’ll be getting benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) at least 4 months before I turn 65.

...

I won’t be getting benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) at least 4 months before I turn 65.

....

In the situations, as you can see - where you Arent already getting benefits, you DO need to apply, it's not simply automatic, but yes she will get Medicare same as you.

...

If benefits are already being received (say someone retired early or was on disability) the enrollment is automatic.

...

How do I sign up?

1. Apply online at Social Security. ...
  2. Visit your local Social Security office.
  3. Call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** (TTY: 1-***-***-****).
  4. If you worked for a railroad, call the RRB at 1-***-***-****.
  5. If you already have part A ,you can complete an Application for Enrollment in Part B (CMS-40B).

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane