Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife is planning on applying for ss benefits in January…

Customer Question
My wife is planning...

My wife is planning on applying for ss benefits in January 2018..she was born Nov 3rd 1952. We went to ss office for her to sign up for Medicare and the social security agent ther told her she could earn upto over 40,000 in 2018 if she plans on still working..which she has indicated. He said by signing up in Jan 2018n she would be considered full retirement age even tho she will not be 66 until nov 3rd 2018. is this correct enfo.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/22/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Because your spouse was born in 1952 - her FRA - full retirement age is 66.

She will reach FRA on Nov 3rd 2018 - at that moment she will be eligible for reduced social security benefits.
You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, the SSA will NOT reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

Because 2018 will be the year in which your spouse will reach her FRA - the SSA will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 she will earn above the limit, but they only count earnings before the month she will reach her FRA.

For 2017 that limit is $44,880.

Thank you..please cancel my free trial as was the only question I had
No I don't need anything else ..I thought this was a free trial or just a $5 charge

Please be aware that the limit will likely be a little higher in 2018.

In additional if her earning will be above that limit - there is an option to make determination separately for each month.

I will forward your request to cancel subscription to the customer service.

You are welcome back for all Tax / Social Security questions.