Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My boss told me I can earn up to $30,000 a year and still…

Customer Question
My boss told me...

My boss told me I can earn up to $30,000 a year and still collect SS at the age of 62. Is this true. I don't want to quit work, but I would like to go on SS early.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Social Security Expert: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 11 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

You may earn any amount you wish to earn and collect Social Security.

HOWEVER, your benefits will be reduced by $1 for ever $2 that you earn over $16,900.

By delaying Social Security benefits until your full retirement age you will increase your monthly benefit amount. Additionally, you may earn any amount you want once you reach full retirement age and your benefits won't be reduced as they are when you are still working and under full retirement age. Currently the full retirement age is 66 years and 2 months and headed to 67 years old.

Here is a link to verify the information I just gave you. Please click on the link below.

"How work affects your Social Security"

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

Thank you for your question and I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

A positive 5 star rating is always much appreciated.

Thank you