Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How can I freeze my social security number so I am

Customer Question
How can I freeze...

How can I freeze my social security number so I am protected

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

With the large breech of information the other day I would like to freeze my social security # so no one can use it to open any other accounts or steal my identity

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I would like the phone numbers of the 3 credit companies and do I have to notify each credit card company individually to protect miss use of my accounts by unknowns

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/21/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

That woudl be so-called a "credit freeze" - which lets you restrict access to your credit report.

That’s makes more difficult for most creditors to see your credit report before they approve a new account.

Even so - certain entities still will have access - specifically

--your report can be released to your existing creditors or to debt collectors acting on their behalf.

--government agencies may have access in response to a court or administrative order, a subpoena, or a search warrant.

To place a freeze on your credit reports - you should contact each of the nationwide credit reporting companiesseparately:

• Equifax — 1-***-***-****
  • Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
  • TransUnion — 1-***-***-****

You will provide your name, address, date of birth, SSN and other personal information for verification.

There will be additional charges for that service - from $5 to $10.

You will be sent you a confirmation letter containing a unique PIN (personal identification number) or password. You will need it if later you choose to lift the freeze.

Questions?