How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29954
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired and my husband died in 2008. At the time I

This answer was rated:

I am retired and my husband died in 2008. At the time I filed for my social security I was 65 years old. They told me if I could wait until I turned 70 yrs of age I could start collecting my husband's social security. I need to know what steps I need to take to get this started
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Like what?

You generally may choose to receive either social security benefits based on your own working record OR

survival spouse benefits which are based on your deceased spouse's working record.

What I may suggest - to contact the SSA and verify which benefits are larger.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Is it possible for me to go to the social security office in
Carrollton, Ga? I would like to make an appointment if possible to go into their office

Address:908 S CARROLL RD VILLA RICA, GA 30180

Phone:1-866_331_2318 TTY:1-800_325_0778


Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM



You may call and ask for appointment.

Be sure you take with you documents to support your identity, marriage certificate and death certificate.

Have SSNs for you and your late husband.

You may not receive two social security benefits at the same time - but will be entitled to the LARGER of these.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you

Please be aware that you may go to ANY social security office.

Appointment is not required - but could be helpful.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

lev-tax and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you