Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I wrote earlier and I lost my connection.should I start over…

I wrote earlier and...

I wrote earlier and I lost my connection.should I start over or can u find it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband is 88 yrs old in a nursing home for four years.He is a Brltimore City Firefighter

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Yes he retired from the city. He receives social security and a pension and is on medical assistance.when he went into nursing home they based his eligibility on his net pension amount. In April this year someone at social services long term care discontinued his medical assistance because he had died. I don't know where that came from. As of July he was was reinstated using his gross pension. I am his 67 yr old wife I receive social social security and a spousal allowance from his income.when they reinstated him it decreased my allowance so that they could pay the nursing home.which doesn't leave enough to pay his bills and mine. The say he doesn't have to pay taxes at all. I can't afford to pay taxes at tax time My question is does he pay taxes and should they changed how they calculated his pension? Up until now social services paid the nursing home.

9/21/2017
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

I searched under your username and there is no other question. Looks like you've re-entered the site as a new user.

...

MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this

It's VERY possible that he is below the threshold for TAXABLE income required to file a return.

...

THe assistance isn't taxable, and social security isn't taxable for couples until 1/2 of social security plus other TAXABLE income is higher 32,000

...

If you'd like to provide exact numbers and a specific description of the benefits being received, I can calculate whether or not you'd be over the threshold where tax filing is required.

...

I WILL say, however, that based on what you've said so far, it's VERY likely that there is no need to file or pay taxes.

...

Let me know

...

Lane

Are we using his gross pension?

Gross net of what?

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS