Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband past 4 years ago. I went to the social security…

My husband past 4...

My husband past 4 years ago. I went to the social security office and was told I would receive a one time benefit of 255.00. My husband was 59 I was 62 at the time of his death. I asked the lady if I would receive any of his social security and she said no. Nothing was mentioned about widows benefits. I just found out when I was signing up for Medicare and was ask why I didn't receive any widow benefits and I told her what I was told. Is there anyway to get back benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No that's about it!

9/21/2017
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986..

...

Something is not right. If you were married to your husband for nine months at the time of his death, and had not (obviously you had not) married before age 60, you are entitled to a survivor's benefit.

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;

...

You can read about that from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html

...

Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more they paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.

The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS