Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is the procedure for a person receiving benefits then…

Customer Question
What is the procedure...

What is the procedure for a person receiving benefits then because of parkinsons is in and out of reality but has a medical power of attorney

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What does the care giver need to do on behalf of the incapacitated person

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

You may want to consider guardianship. It's likely too late for a general or financial power of attorney, given that it could be contested based on the individual not having signed it will full capacity.

...

When you file paperwork asking to be named a guardian, you are required to “serve” a copy of the Petition and the Citation on the proposed protected person, many of the adult's relatives, and possibly some other agencies.

...

After filing and serving the guardianship papers, the proposed guardians and the adult over whom the guardianship is requested must appear at a hearing in front of a judge. The judge will then decide whether to grant the guardianship.

...

Less formal options are simply getting family members to help, looking at memory care facilities, etc.

...

But if you question is about getting the formal authority to make decisions for the individual, now that mental capacity is already in question, guardianship is the next step.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane