Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband and i are divorcing. He is a retired government…

Customer Question
My husband and i...

My husband and i are divorcing. He is a retired government employee. He has not paid into SS. We have been married for 23 years. My ex-husband, and i were also married for 23 years.He is deceased. I want to know how i should go about receiving SS or parcial disability. I have RA and Fibo. I do not have enough credits myself.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 11 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb