Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I need to change the account information for the bank that

I need to change the account information for the bank that my benefit direct deposit is sent to. How do I I change that?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am currently receiving benefits, which are direct deposited into my checking account. However I have to close that checking account and open a new one at t
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: How do I change the account number that my direct deposit is deposited in?

Hi - My name's Lane ... You have three options (these three are the only ways you can do this)

...

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and print your document(s) immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday

...

(3) ... You can go directly to your bank. All depository institutions have the forms to do this for you.

...

Also, you could go to a local office, but you should call the 1800 number to get an appointment anyway, or you're likely to be there all day only to come away with an appointment for another day

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – You may need to scroll up to see the stars.

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.