How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12667
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to change bank accounts for direct deposit, Computer

This answer was rated:

Need to change bank accounts for direct deposit
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Computer was hacked. I am changing to all new banking accounts but with the same bank. How do I do this?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No

Hi- My name's Lane ... You have three options.


(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, etc.


You can go there, login (or simply register, THEN login, if you've never used it) make the change immediately.


Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY


(2) ... By calling 1-800-772-1213, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. They ca do this for you, OR


(3) ... GO directly to the bank (new bank or same bank if you're just changing accounts). They have the forms to do this for you.


Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way will compensate me for the work here.




HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Total waste. Almost$40. For not much help. Still haven't been able to resolve this. Not happy.

Listen. This is what it is ... as I said above... you have three (AND ONLY THREE) options;


  • calling the 1800 number
  • using your "MySocial Security" Account, OR
  • going to the bank


That the ONLY way you'll "get this resolved."


I'm so sorry, but I've given you a thorough and accurate answer.

Lane and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you