Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband died 6/5/2016. I was working and found out that I…

Customer Question
My husband died 6/5/2016...

My husband died 6/5/2016. I was working and found out that I would not get his ss benefits. I am considering to quite working fulltime. I would like to know if I would be able to get my husband SS benefits and how much would that be?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I want to move from CA to Or which means leaving my job. I am 62yrs old so need to know if I will make enough to live on.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more they paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.

The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.

.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:
•Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
•Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
•Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;
•Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16 -- 75 percent.