Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My accountant passed away and I cannot get my W2 for 2016 as…

Customer Question
My accountant passed away...

My accountant passed away and I cannot get my W2 for 2016 as he had not provided for another accountant to take the records. Can I please get a 2016 W2 remailed or e-mailed to me. I will be happy to provide you with any of my information. Michael T******

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No that is all I would need. Thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant replied 11 months ago
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. While you can, you don't want to request a copy from the social security office. They will charge you for it unless you need the W2 for a reason relating to social security matters. Refer to the following link regarding the above:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3836/how-can-i-get-a-copy-of-my-wage-and-tax-statements-form

You can however contact the IRS and request a copy of your 2016 Wage and Income transcript for TY 2016. The transcript will show information from your W2(s). You can request the transcript online. You can request the transcript by going to the following page:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you don't want to request the transcript online, you can call the IRS at 1-***-***-****. They may be able to fax it to you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have addressed your concern(s), I ask that you be so kind as to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.