Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My sister passed away the 17th of this month and her check…

Customer Question
My sister passed away...

My sister passed away the 17th of this month and her check went in her bank at midnight last night my other sister and I took care of her for three months before she had lung cancer the only income she had was so and barely enough ins to take care of funeral arrangements can we use her check to pay her bills

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: Barrister, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

According the Social Security, if a person receiving Social Security benefits dies they can’t pay benefits for the month of death. That means if the person died in September, the check received in October (which is payment for Sept) must be returned.

.

So the check that was just deposited is for August's payment, so yes, you can use it to pay for any final expenses.

.

.

thanks