Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am going to be 64 in December. I am trying to determine…

Customer Question
I am going to...

I am going to be 64 in December. I am trying to determine when I should retire, should I be on Medicare now, and a number of other questions regarding retirement. I have received some literature in the mail but looked online but it's very confusing. Can I continue to work part-time after I retire? how much money can I earn without affecting my SS payments, etc.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No I just need advice and direction in an easy to understand format

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You may start your social security benefits any time - as long as you are above 62.
Your FRA - full retirement age is 66 - at that age your benefits will be unrestricted.
You will qualify for Medicare when you turn 65.

You may receive social security benefits and work at the same time. But as long as you are below your FRA - there is a limit on earning.

For 2017 that limit is $16,920.

Let me know if you need any further help.