Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am currently on disability and receive benefits through…

Customer Question
I am currently on...

I am currently on disability and receive benefits through Social Security. I was informed that I can draw from my ex-husband (of 17 yrs) Social Security. When I visited our local office, they informed me that since I don't make 1/2 of his benefits that I can not draw unless he dies. Is this true and do I have any other option?? I struggle to keep electric on, house payment, sewage and water and trash pickup. I can't afford television or internet service. Groceries are completely out of the question as I am on seven different medications! I have a car payment and insurance as well that I am behind on. I have applied for several jobs but have been unable (for the past year and a half) but either I never get a call on or receive a "text" denying my application. I am tired of being hungry and am ready for a nervous breakdown. Can you help me?? FYI: Married 5/15/1999. Divorced May 17. 2016.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My son take his life in September 2014. My ex couldn't take my sadness, darkness and filed for divorce. He immediately rented a home from his boss long enough to use that address to file with. Within two weeks, he moved in with my girl friend of twenty years and were married three weeks after the divorce was final. Maybe trivial but devastating!! I really don't know what they will need. I have listed my expenses of needed.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

I am sorry about the situation but people often believe that they can get somebody else's benefits (spouse's, ex spouse's) but that's not true. If you were married for more than 10 years you can have YOUR benefits calculated using his records. You cannot get his benefits but your benefits based on his records. That being said, if you apply before your full retirement age you will automatically get the highest benefits available to you at that time. If you qualify for benefits (based on your work records) and spousal benefits (based on your ex's records), you will get the higher one, you will not get both.

Spousal benefits are between 35 and 50% of what your ex would be eligible for at his full retirement age. Widows benefits could be between 75 and 100% of what your ex would be collecting at the time of his death.

It looks like you applied for early benefits (before your full retirement age) and your own benefits were higher than your spousal.

basically, there is NOTHING I can do.
Just cancel this membership. It appears I made a mistake in contacting you.

I am sorry, but unlike welfare or other public assistance benefits, social security is not a need based benefits. Eligibility are based on work history, age and disability (if preventing you from working).

I contacted customer service to issue you a refund.

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY