Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to change my checking account for direct deposit

Customer Question
I need to change...

I need to change my checking account for direct deposit purpose. Also, I do not remember login information. Edward S Basanez

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have had to change my checking account and have received a monthly SSA payment by direct deposit for many years. How do I let SSA know what the new checking account number for future SSA payments?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I must also change to the new account number for my wife. We use one checking account.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
What is the answer? I have been waiting more than 15 minutes.
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 11 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I apologize for the delay here. Here are your options:

1) You may go to your local social security office and do it in person. Just bring your ID and a voided check.

2) You can get back into your online account by going to the login page and clicking on "Forgot Username," and enter your email address, social security number, and date of birth. The program will enter your username for you. Then, click on "Forgot Password" and enter your user name, social security number and date of birth; the program will then ask you the three identity verification questions. If you do not remember the answers to your three questions, select "I can't remember my answers."

If you'd provided a cell phone number as a secondary ID they will send you a temporary password ***** email. If you only gave them an email address or if you did not select a secondary method, SSA will send you a temporary password ***** U.S. mail to your registered address. It takes 5 to 10 business days.

If your wife doesn't have her own online account she can easily create one with her own information, or both of you can visit the local office. In the event she does decide to create an online account, make sure she writes everything down because I receive a lot of inquiries from individuals who haven't used their account in a while and just can't remember their info.

Hope that helped. Feel free to send follow ups here. Thank you.