Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My status with Social Security Acministration. My #is

Customer Question
My status with Social...

My status with Social Security Acministration.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My #is ************* What is my status? Also I am windowed.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Also I am retired from the Air Force and the City of Las Vegas.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/20/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 11 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is***** to Just Answer. By "status" I presume you are wondering if you are entitled to any benefits, either from your own earnings or as a survivor. There are three ways to do this.

1) You may visit your local social security office. Bring proof of citizenship (such as a passport or birth certificate) and identity (such as a driver's license or ID card).

2) You may call them at(###) ###-####between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. The wait time averages 36 minutes but I've heard of people waiting nearly an hour.

3) You can create an online account and check your record yourself, online, any time. To do this, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount, click on "Sign in or Create an Account," and follow the prompts. You will need to provide your name as it appears on your social security card, you social security number, your date of birth, a valid e-mail address, a U.S. residence address and a U.S. driver license or ID card number. It helps if you have a cell phone capable of receiving text messages but it's not required. Once you've answered the questions and created a user name and password, the program will send you a security code via text or email. That's it. Make sure you write everything down as you proceed as there will be three challenge questions that you will provide answers to that the program will store for future use.

Once you have created an account you will be able to review your history and calculate any benefits you may be entitled to by using their online calculator.

Hope that helped. If so a positive rating here would be appreciated! Thank you very much!