Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I got a letter that I may be eligible for SSI because I'm…

Customer Question
I got a letter...

I got a letter that I may be eligible for SSI because I'm age 65 or older. I never heard of this. Only for disability. I'm 70. My ss is a little over $200 a month, half of that pays for Medicare. So I could use whatever little I can get.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Only that I've worked all my life and am confused as t o why my SS is so low in the first place.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/19/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Yes, SSI is for the disabled .... OR those over 65 that satisfy the income and asset requirements.

...

The main difference between Social Security Disability (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is the fact that SSD is available to workers who have accumulated a sufficient number of work credits, while SSI disability benefits are available to low-income individuals who have either never worked or who haven't earned enough work credits to qualify for SSDI.

...

It IS possible to qualify for both Social Security retirement and SSI if your income from regular Social Security is low enough

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

Thank you. I'll take my letter to the local office. I may qualify as I have
very low SS now.

Right. I would.

...

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane