Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife passed away in June 17,2017. she was receiving

Customer Question
My wife passed away...

My wife passed away in June 17,2017. she was receiving $7,000/yr as her surviving husband can I receive my 20,000/yr plus her benefits. I am 94 yrs old and need additional income for the remainder of my life. ?

Accountant's Assistant: What confuses you?

My wife was receiving $7,000/yr ssi. I am 95yrs old and receiving 20,000/yr. She passed away in june 2017. am I entitle receiving her benefits as the surviving spouse?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

MY wife passed away last June. As the surviving spouse am I entitled to receive her ssi benefits

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/18/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site.
Sorry for your loss.
Yes - you are eligible for surviving spouse benefits.
But you may not receive two benefits at the same time.

As you are eligible for your own benefits and for surviving spouse benefits - you will be getting the larger of these - but not both.
Regardless you may apply and receive one time death benefits.

Let me know if you need help with determination.

A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when they died.

You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778) or by visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

You can help by being ready to:

• Provide any needed documents; and
  • Answer the questions listed below.

Documents you may need to provide

We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

• A birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States;
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year; and
  • A death certificate for the deceased worker.