Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If my wife starts drawing her SS benefits at age 62 then…

Customer Question
If my wife starts...

If my wife starts drawing her SS benefits at age 62 then switches to Spousal benefits at age 68 what percentage will it effect her Spousal benefit.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife would like to retire early and draw her earned benefits at age 62. I plan on working to age 70 before drawing that would make her age 68 would it decrease her Spousal benefit if she start her drawing what she earn at age 62

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/18/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 9 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

You didn't mention your current ages, but for the moment I'll presume that you are grandfathered under the "old" rules and are eligible to do what you're asking.

First of all, her full Spousal benefit would be 50% of your full retirement benefit at your full retirement age, not your benefits at age 70, which of course is enhanced by the delay in your retirement to age 70.

So, again, to start with her full spousal benefit is 50% of your full retirement benefit at your full retirement age (66 or 67)?

Since she would start her retirement benefits at age 62 which is either 4 or 5 years early, her full retirement benefit will be reduced by 8% a year for each year prior to her full retirement age. She will receive a permanent reduction in her benefits based about the number of years prior to her full retirement age that she collects at age 62.

If (when) she applies for Spousal benefits, those benefits will also be permanently reduced because she started collecting her own retirement benefits early.

So, if her benefits are reduced by 30%, so that she receives 70% of her full retirement benefits will also be reduced by the same % reduction. So, in this example 70% of the 50% Spousal benefit would equal 35% (70% x 50% = 35%) of your full retirement benefit at your full retirement age.

Now, of course if her retirement benefit is greater than the 35% Spousal benefit, she will continue to receive her own permanently reduced retirement benefit (whatever she's collecting at age 62, plus any cost of living increases.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much,