Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a US citizen who has resided in Italy since 1982 with…

Customer Question
I am a US...

I am a US citizen who has resided in Italy since 1982 with the exception of two years in the 1990s when I returned to the US to attend graduate school. I paid into Social Security from 1982 until 2008 when I was employed by an American School in Italy. In 1982 and from 2008 until the current time I have paid into the Italian INPS pension plan for a total of 10 years and one month to date. When applying for Social Security benefits will the contributions to the Italian INPS pension plan be recognised as per the totalisation agreement between Italy and the US. Or would I be better advised to apply for an Italian pension by requesting that the Italian INPS recognise my US Social Security credits?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/18/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 11 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You should apply for benefits in both countries and see which option gives you the larger monthly payment. If you have enough work credits in one country or both, you can simply claim what you are entitled to under either system without needing to rely on a totalization agreement. ​

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.

US Social Security has confirmed that they will not recognise payments into the Italian pension system because I have already accrued the minimum no. of credits required to draw US Social Security, albeit at a reduced rate since the last nine years with 0 contributions to SS have been averaged into my total life earnings. I now have to go to the Italian national pension office to find out if they will recognise the US SS contributions, allowing me to draw an Italian pension at the age of 66 or to know, at least, if there is any way of benefitting from the nine years of contributions made to the Italian national pension scheme.