Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am applying for my ex husbands social security retirement.

Customer Question
I am applying for...

I am applying for my ex husbands social security retirement. He is deceased but I was married to him for 20 years. I have been asked for marriage certificate and divorce papers. Marriage certificate is certified. Does the copy of the divorce judgement also need to have some kind of seal or can I just provide a copy of the judgement?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

The woman he was married to when he died is currently collecting his benefits. They were married 1 year.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/18/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot apply for widows benefits online, you will have to bring the originals to the office. A certified copy may be accepted depending who certified it. The agent will make the copies to keep.

Social security agent will accept copies of employment and tax related documents.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

The marriage cert is certified so I know that's ok. I have already been to the ss office and know I have to return in person its the judgement I am concerned about its 108 pages and I'm online ordering it and this question came up Would you like your order exemplified? Its a lot more money!

It has to original or certified. Social security guidelines are very specific, they want to see an original, or at least certified copy.

Read here in the highlighted box: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-10.html

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY