Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I signed up for Medicare and accidentally signed up for part…

Customer Question
I signed up for...

I signed up for Medicare and accidentally signed up for part B instead of Part A. How can I change this?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was signing up for the first time for Medicare as I turn 65 in November 2017 and meant to sign up for Part A and checked the box for B instead. What can I do to fix this?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 day by:
9/19/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

First, just to state the obvious (guessing you already know this)...

...

In general, when you’re 65 or older, you should decline Part B only if you have group health insurance from an employer for whom you or your spouse is still actively working and that insurance is primary to Medicare (it pays before Medicare does).

...

You can decline Part B by following the instructions that Social Security sends you in the letter that accompanies your Medicare card and meeting the specified deadline.

If you miss THAT opportunity, to disenroll, you’re required to submit a form (CMS-1763) that must be completed either during a personal interview at a Social Security office or on the phone with a Social Security representative. For an interview, call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-****, or your local office.

...

Here's the form: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/Other/G-CMS-1763.pdf

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane