Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I make in excess of 600.000 per year, i am 66 my wife 65…

Customer Question
I make in excess...

I make in excess of 600.000 per year, i am 66 my wife 65 previously worked for over 25 years and she made approx 70.000 per year, is it better for her to receive ss under my account or separately?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/16/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 9 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Both of you will need to check your full retirement age benefits to determine what would be better for her.

If she applies at 65 she will not be able to choose, she will receive the higher benefits she is eligible for, based on her own records or based on your records. But for her to apply for spousal benefits you would have to apply for your own benefits first. If she waits until her full retirement age and you choose to apply for your own benefits (and not to wait until 70), she can still use restricted application option, file for lower spousal and let her own grow until 70 (8% for every year after 66).

You should also consider a health factor: is she in relative good health? Does it make sense to wait until 70 to apply? Or she has several health issues and she needs benefits now?

if we both file separately they will give her higher amount once they calculate correct

When it comes to social security benefits there's no joint or separate application. You will apply for your own benefits and she will apply for her own benefits. Both of you can have benefits calculated based on your own work records or your spouse's records but only one of you can have collect spousal benefits at the same time.

You are at full retirement age so you have a choice to file restricted application (apply for lower spousal benefits and let your own grow until 70). Your spouse, if she applies now before her full retirement age, she will, will get benefits based on her own records or, if you apply for your benefits, she can get benefits based on your records (whichever are higher).

Guess what I am trying to ask is if she gets sposal as opposed to her own benefits would that be less or more? As I stated previously made approx 600,000 she made around 70

I have no way of knowing. We do not have access to your social security accounts to determine her or your estimated benefits.

If she applies at 66 she will be eligible for 50% of benefits you were eligible for at your full retirement age and 100% of her own benefits.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?