Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What does social security consider legitimate expenses for…

Customer Question
What does social security...

What does social security consider legitimate expenses for an 18 year old ssi recipient?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Recipient is 18 year old male, lives with uncle and aunt, a

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

At 18 was approved to continue his disability benefits for an additional 3 years before review. He is now in high school until he is 21 in the state of WA. His desire is to attend a trade school after completing high school, save for a car and insurance. His expenses are minimal.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

See this from here ... this is intended for minors with a representative payee but the underlying logic about what's an acceptable expense is the same. (First and forwmost, food clothing and shelter)

...

From here: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10076.pdf

...

First, you must take care of the beneficiary’s day-to-day needs for food and shelter. Then, you must use the money for the beneficiary’s medical and dental care 3 that’s not covered by health insurance.

...

You can also pay for the beneficiary’s personal needs, such as clothing and recreation. You must save any money left after you pay for the beneficiary’s needs, preferably in an interest-bearing account or U.S. Savings Bonds.

...

If the beneficiary is in a nursing home or institution, use their benefits to pay the fees. In this case, you should set aside a minimum of $30 each month to use for the beneficiary’s personal needs.

...

If the beneficiary is in an institution and gets Medicaid, or is a member of a family on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, contact Social Security about using benefits for the family.

...

Please let me know what questions you have from here

...

Lane

...

...

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.