Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do I change my checking account number on my direct

Customer Question
How do I change...

How do I change my checking account number on my direct deposit?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I needed to close one of my checking accounts and switch the Direct Deposit to my other account so I need to let you know the new account number.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not at this time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 11 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

There are three ways to accomplish what you want.

1. The easiest way is to check with the bank where the new account is that you want your benefits deposited. The banks often offer this service for their customers.

2. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-**** and ask them to make the change. The only problem with this is the wait on "Hold" can be very, very long. If you choose this option & experience this problem, you can use the following link to locate your local office & phone number (using your Zipcode) & you can call them to make the change.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3. The last way, and most direct method if your bank doesn't offer the service is to make the change yourself online. In order to do that you will need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see that there are a number of things you can do and information you can obtain through that website. One of the options is to change the bank account information where your benefits are deposited.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,