Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was widowed in 2004 at only 39 yrs old.... My twins drew…

Customer Question
I was widowed in...

I was widowed in 2004 at only 39 yrs old.... My twins drew their dad's soc sec until the turned 18,, about 6 or 7 yrs. I have always been employed and worked. The question is this.. If I re-marry, do I forfeit being able to draw off my deceased husband??

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so ...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/15/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 11 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you remarry before age of 60 you will not be able to claim survivor benefits based on your first husband's records as long as you are married. If you divorce or survivor your second spouse than you will have a choice to collect benefits based on your first spouse's records, your second spouse's record or your own.

If you remarry after age of 60 you will be able to collect survivor benefits during your second marriage.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?