Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am changing banks. How do I notify Social Security about…

Customer Question
I am changing banks...

I am changing banks. How do I notify Social Security about this and give them the name of the new bank? William *****

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I live in Westminster , Co. and will change from Wells Fargo to Bank of the West.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Unless there is a need to notify someone regarding my Medicare but I don't know whether changing banks affect that.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/14/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 9 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi William. My name's Lane.

...

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here. Social Security does not correspond electronically…. (OTHER than to allow you to use the online MySocialSecurity account, discussed below).

...

This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for getting your direct deposit changed (You have THREE OPTIONS)

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and print your document(s) immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can help you with this.

OR

...

(3) ... You can go directly to your new bank. All depository institutions have the forms to make the change for you. They can help

And no, Medicare would only need to know about an address change if you were to move.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – You may need to scroll up to see the stars.

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane