Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do I apply I am 67 years old and retired. Retied NASA…

Customer Question
How do I apply...

How do I apply I am 67 years old and retired.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Retied NASA 2007. On CSRS. What do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I need to know what info you need.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/14/2017
Social Security Expert: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 9 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

You have three options for applying for Social Security Retirement Benefits.

1) You can complete an application for (by clicking on the blue links) Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

If you do not wish to use the online application, you can:

• 2) Call us at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****); or
  • 3) Visit your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

If you live outside the U.S. you can contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.

Social Security may need the following information from you

• Your date and place of birth and Social Security number;
  • The name, Social Security number and date of birth or age of your current spouse and any former spouse. You should also know the dates and places of marriage and dates of divorce or death (if appropriate);
  • The names of any unmarried children under 18, 18-19 and in secondary school or disabled before age 22;
  • Your bank or other financial institution's Routing Transit Number and the account number [more info];.
  • Your citizenship status;
  • Whether you or anyone else has ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf (if so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied);
  • Whether you have used any other Social Security number;
  • If you are applying for retirement benefits, the month you want your benefits to begin; and
  • If you are within 3 months of age 65, whether you want to enroll in Medical Insurance (Part B of Medicare).

Additionally, Social Security may request

• The name and address of your employer(s) for this year and last year;
  • The amount of money earned last year and this year. If you are filing for benefits in the months of September through December, you will also need to estimate next year's earnings;
  • A copy of your Social Security Statement or a record of your earnings. If you do not have a Statement, you can view your Social Security Statement online by creating an account and signing in with us. Even if you do not have a record of your earnings or you are not sure if they are correct, please fill out the application. We will help you review your earnings when you apply;
  • The beginning and ending dates of any active U.S. military service you had before 1968;
  • Whether you became unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time within the past 14 months. If "Yes," we will also ask the date you became unable to work;
  • Whether you or your spouse have ever worked for the railroad industry;
  • Whether you have earned Social Security credits under another country's social security system; and
  • Whether you qualified for or expect to receive a pension or annuity based on your own employment with the Federal government of the United States or one of its States or local subdivisions.

Many people find the completing the online application the most convenient way to apply.

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

At the conclusion of this question, I ask that you take the time and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

You are able to ask additional questions if you do have them.

Thank you in advance