Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I want to find a form to protest the low retirement amount…

Customer Question
I want to find...

I want to find a form to protest the low retirement amount I'm getting. I was told back in 1982 or 83 that teachers could work one day in another school disctrict that took out SS. This would make them eligible for full social secturity. No provision was made for nurses working as school nurses. I called the main social security office and was told that as I also worked out of a disctrict and had "32 quarters" at time of retirement I would have full Social Security. Now I'm told that I have a "wind fall" and will not be able for full SS. What wind fall to I have? I get only what I put into TRS and nothing else. No wind fall of cash money only a monthly check for what I put in. I've worked and have 32 quarters.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

The "Retirement Expert" was very rude and told me to call my state congressman. That does not help nor do you seem to be able to help. I'm separated and receive no help from husband. I will not have enough money to live on. No one seems to get that. I want to protest or file a complaint, how is that done?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/14/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

First, (and I ask that you don't shoot the messenger here ... just trying to get the facts out and then we can dig in further), The WEP (The Windfall Elimination Provision) which was written into the law in 1982 and signed into law by Ronald Reagan to help shore up the struggling Social Security Trust Fund.

...

Social Security is a form of social Insurance, and the WEP provision of the Social Security Act was added with that in mind ... that Social Security is there for those that just don't HAVE anything else. So those in systems that didn't pay IN to the system were the first to get "picked on," so to speak .. maybe picked off is a better phrase.

...

There's actually no direct one to one relationship between what's paid in, OTHER than whether you are what Social Security calls fully insured. (having 40 quarters). By the way there IS a way for those who worked in a non-SSA system to get FULL SSA benefits, that's having 30 years in the system.

...

But short of that, we have our (by the way I am one of those affected as well) benefits cut.

...

So, what needs to happen here is we need to band together and get the law changed.

...

That's a pretty good foundation. Please let me know what questions you have from here.