Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My ex-husband is going to file on my s/s earnings as a

Customer Question
My ex-husband is going...

My ex-husband is going to file on my s/s earnings as a former spouse since he doesn't have enough to qualify on his own. He draws a retirement form the city of Memphis. How will this affect his draw against mine?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

WE are both 72, I am still working full time but also draw SS.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/14/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If your spouse will receive a pension for work not covered by Social Security such as government employment, the amount of his Social Security benefits on your spouse's record may be reduced.

This offset is referred to as the Government Pension Offset, or GPO.

The GPO will reduce the amount of Social Security spouse's benefits by two-thirds of the amount of your government pension. For example, if he receives a monthly civil service pension of $600, two-thirds of that, or $400, must be used to offset your Social Security spouse's benefits. If he is eligible for a $500 spouse's benefit, he will receive $100 per month from Social Security ($500 - $400 = $100).

Let me know if you need any help.